Texas Counties Deliver

Veteran Services

Paul Chandler, VCSO

Sam Rayburn Memorial Veterans Center

1201 East 9th Street

Bonham, Texas 75418

903.583.2111 x 36390




“To serve as a resource for the veterans and veteran families of Fannin County, that they may be competently served in pursuit of benefits available to them following service to their country”


“That every veteran and their family member will know the deep appreciation and respect of their country for their unselfish service


The Fannin County VSO provides client services Monday – Friday between 8am and 4pm by appointment. Please call or email for information, general questions or consultation, or to schedule an appointment. The Fannin County Veterans Service Office FOLLOWS THE INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY AND HOLIDAY SCHEDULE OF FANNIN COUNTY, TEXAS. Information regarding inclement weather and county office closings can be found on the Fannin County website.


The Department of Veteran Affairs is currently proposing to restructure the operational footprint of, and the services provided at, the Sam Rayburn Memorial Veterans Center, Bonham, Texas. Among other recommendations, the VA is specifically proposing to move the Domiciliary (DOM) and the Community Living Center (CLC) from their current location on the Bonham VA campus, to the new VA facility in Garland, Texas. Fannin County is concerned how the proposed changes will ultimately affect patients, employees, and Fannin County as a whole.

Please take a moment to fill out the following survey to help Fannin County better understand the potential impact of the VA's proposed changes:

Bonham VA Proposed Changes: Survey


    • General VA Benefits Consultation
    • Service Connected Disability Claims
    • Non Service Connected Pension Claims
    • Survivor Pension Claims
    • Dependency & Indemnity (DIC) Compensation Claims
    • Appeals
    • Records Requests
    • Records Correction Applications
    • Discharge Status Change Applications
    • Education, Vocational Rehabilitation Referrals
    • Certificates of Eligibility (COE’s)
    • Burial Reimbursements, Burial Headstone Requests, Flag Requests
    • Referrals
    • DD214(s), DD-214-1(s), DD215(s), NGB FORM 22(s)
    • Medical Evidence of Injury or Illness (doctors’ diagnoses and medical notes, MRI’s, CT Scans, ECG’s, etc.)
    • Evidence of Military Service Connection (AAR’s, STR’s, MTR’s, statements, photos, news stories, etc.)
    • Marriage Certificate(s)
    • Birth Certificate(s)
    • Annual Social Security Statement
    • Current Bank Statements
    • Official Death Certificate
    • Itemized Funeral Home Invoices
  • Salvation Army, Homeless Veteran Services Program


    This program is supported by a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission Fund for Veterans’ Assistance.  The Fund for Veterans’ Assistance provides grants to organizations serving veterans and their families. Contact your local Salvation Army to find out which services are offered in your area. For more information or community agency referrals, call 210-352-2020 or visit the Texas Veterans Commission website

    Services Provided

    • Outreach engagement and admissions
    • Case management and housing planning
    • Homeless prevention services (rental and utility assistance)
    • Transportation
    • Hygiene items
    • Men, women & family shelter services


    • Proof of service
    • Honorable and dishonorable discharge
    • Veterans, dependents and spouse, and surviving spouse
    • Homeless or facing homelessness

    Texas VFW Unmet Needs Program


    Unmet Needs is there to help America's military families who have run into unexpected financial difficulties as a result of deployment or other military-related activity or injury. The program provides financial aid grants of up to $1,500 to assist with basic life needs in the form of a grant - not a loan - so no repayment is required. To further ease the burden, we pay the creditor directly. Access the link below to setup an account and begin the application:

    Open Arms Shelter, Bonham


    Open Arms Shelter provides overnight shelter for our residents. Residents get a meal, a warm bed, and a shower! They also have an opportunity to do their laundry. Residents can stay a maximum of 14 days unless they choose to participate in our three-level program. Residents receive three meals a day and snacks. We serve a continental breakfast each morning, give them a sack lunch, and they have a hot dinner at night. Individuals in the community, church groups, and restaurants sign-up to donate dinner each evening. Call (903) 449-4451.

    Homeless Veterans Services of Dallas


    Homeless Veterans Services of Dallas is located at the Veterans Resource Center. HVSD provides the first point of contact for Veterans needing to connect to nonprofit, employment, educational, and VA resources, in order to provide paths towards self-sufficiency. Call (214) 372-8822.

    National Coalition for Homeless Veterans


    NCHV is the only national organization solely focused on ending Veteran homelessness. We work to achieve our mission by promoting collaboration, shaping policy, building service capacity, ensuring accountability, and managing a referral helpline for Veterans experience and at-risk homelessness. Welcome to the most comprehensive source of information about America’s homeless Veterans and the programs and people who working to save their lives and restore hope. Call 1-811-424-3838 for 24 / 7 / 365 assistance.

    Fannin County Indigent Healthcare Program


    The Fannin County Indigent Health Care Program has a three-fold mission:

    • Provide access to care by paying medical expenses and prescriptions for qualified applicants.
    • Provide case management including specialist referrals, disease management, and encouraging compliance with physician orders.
    • Provide additional care by connecting our Indigent patients with various community resources to assist them in all areas of need.

    US Dental Service


    The usdentalservice.com is a dental directory focusing on providing information about clinics that provide free, low-cost dental care in the United States. Before using dental care, you will need to contact the dental clinics for appointments or more detailed information you might be concerned about. Our goal here is to provide useful information on free, low-cost dental resources and how to find them near you. We do not work directly with any clinic in any way, and we cannot help set up appointments for you, either. We provide a listing of dental clinics that provide free or low-cost dental services in order to help those who may put off dental treatment due to certain financial issues, such as lack of dental insurance plans, having high co-pay, etc. You should be aware that only a few free or low-cost programs are open to anyone. Some of them may depend on your eligibility for government assistance, income, location, or even age group. With some other restrictions and rules, most programs may have a varying payment scale that is based on your ability to pay. Here at usdentalservice.com, we will help you to find such dental services by providing detailed information about each clinic. We will constantly add new clinics and update our website with new information as we receive it.

  • How can I get a copy of my DD214, Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), or Medical Records?

    You can access the NPRC and order these online, or contact my office for assistance. Timelines vary greatly on when you can expect getting your documents sent to you, but generally, you should expect to get your document(s) in 10-12 weeks. https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records


    Is there a time limit for filing a claim with the VA?

    There is no statute of limitations for filing a service connected disability or non-service connected pension claim with the VA. Whether you’ve just separated from the military, or it’s been many years since you separated, you can still file a claim.


    How do I file a claim with the VA?

    VA claims can be complicated, and the process can be inflexible. I strongly encourage you to contact my office for assistance.


    How long does it take the VA to make the initial decision on my claim?

    Decision timelines can vary greatly for many different reasons however, it has been my experience that the majority of decisions are rendered within 6-9 months, and many times much more quickly than that.


    What if I’m unhappy with the VA’s decision on my claim?

    I strongly encourage you to contact my office for assistance in this area. The process for formally responding to unfavorable VA decisions is often more complicated than the claim itself.


    How long do I have to respond to the VA’s decision if I disagree with it?

    Generally, 1-year


    Are disabled Veterans entitled to a discount on property taxes?

    Texas Veterans, 10% or more service-connected disabled, as formally adjudicated by the Department of Veteran Affairs, the Veterans Benefits Administration, have reduced property taxes on their primary residence. Contact the Fannin Central Appraisal District for more information about eligibility and how to apply.


    Am I eligible for survivor’s benefits if my spouse was a Veteran?

    There are VA benefits available to the surviving spouse of wartime Veterans who meet certain eligibility criteria. Please contact my office for an appointment.


    What disability rating is required to add my dependents to my VA award?

    30% or higher


    What disability rating is required to get disabled Veteran plates?

    50% or higher


    40% or higher due to amputation of a lower extremity 


We thank our many Fannin County Veterans for their service and their sacrifice